“The dignity of the artist lies in his duty of keeping the sense of wonder in the world”- Marc Chagall
Let’s make 2015 our year of living creatively. The above quote inspires me. While some of the world is in a current state of crisis, chaos, disorder and disharmony…we as artists/creators- need to focus on making beauty, seeing beauty and sensing wonder. If there were to be a creative movement in 2015, where people focused on what makes their heart sing, rather than tapping into a fear mentality, then I believe there would be a radical shift in consciousness- creative consciousness.
Here’s a fun exercise to tap into your Creative State of Mind…
1. Write numbers 1 to 20 down a page.
2. At the top of the page write “Stuff that makes me Happy”
3. Don’t think too much, just write the list as fast as you can.
4. What comes up? Going to book stores, being with family, writing, singing, cooking?
5. Grab a highlighter and highlight all the creative activities/things you have listed
6. Now grab another piece of paper and write the numbers 1-10 down the page
7. At the top of the page write “Creative Things to Expand My Mind in January”
8. From your first list, choose ten creative activities- remembering that most things are creative- exercise is creative, fishing is creative- choose your top 10-
9. Look at your list and put it into action. For example, your list might look like this- 1. Going to the Movies 2. Drawing 3. Running on the Sand 4. Yoga 5. Agatha Christie Novels 6.Singing in the shower…etc. Next to each item- write down something you can REALISTICALLY do this month to feed this part of your soul. Eg- 1. Rent my five fave movies and invite my closest friends over for a movie marathon on New Years 2.Go to the art store, buy some coloured pencils and a sketch book and spend one hour on a Saturday doodling whatever I feel like. 3. Run on the sand 4. Go to a yoga class or download a Yoga app on my phone and do some in the backyard 5.Get into the bath, put on some Bach and read some Christie for an hour 6. Sing in the shower, every morning- create a playlist of my favourite “Shower Sets”…and so on
10. When you take the time to create a list like that, you can be an active participant in your daily creative practice. When you are making/doing something- whether it be a sculpture or a loaf of bread…you are in a creative state of mind. Enjoy! Claire x
“Unleashing Your Creativity for Grown Ups” Summer Intensive- January 19-23rd 48, Watt Street, Newcastle, Australia. Email Claire to book- email@example.com. Creativity Coaching available for international clients- 30 minute or 1 hour Skype sessions available. Email to book.